The Diu defense, additionally called Diu Fort, formally Fortaleza First State national capital, is found on the West Coast of the Asian country in Diu, a Union Territory, administered by the govt of the Asian country.
The defense was engineered by the Portuguese at the jap tip of the island of Diu throughout the sixteenth century. The defense, that borders on the city of Diu, was inbuilt 1535 succeeding a defense alliance solid by Bahadur monarch, the swayer of Gujarat and also the Portuguese once Humayun, the Mughal Emperor tried to annex this territory. it was reinforced over the years, till 1546.
The Portuguese dominated over this territory from 1537 till the Indian invasion of Dec 1961. Construction of the fort was started in the Gregorian calendar month and completed in March, with the Portuguese forced labor swing their full may.
The defense may be a giant structure on the coast of the Diu island and commands views over the ocean. It skirts the ocean on 3 sides. The outer wall of the fort was engineered on the lineation. The inner wall had bastions on that guns were mounted.
A double trench (outer one may be a periodic event moat) between the outer and inner walls provided security to the fort. The trench that separates the fortifications from the castle has been getting over arenaceous rock rocks. A breakwater engineered then on the northwestern facet remains in use.
The fort was given 3 entry gates. A bastion engineered earlier by the swayer within the trouble channel, next to the fort walls, was any reinforced by the Portuguese. In the main entry gate, their area unit 5 giant windows with stone galleries on the frontest wall.
From the defense, a glistering read of the Panikotha fort settled within the ocean, off the coast opposite to Diu Fort, can be seen within the evenings. There area unit many cannons (some of them fabricated from bronze seem well preserved) still seen at the highest of the Diu fort. additionally seen area unit assortment of iron shells scattered around within the fort space.
The fort is approached from a permanent bridge. the doorway entranceway to the fort has associate degree inscription in Portuguese. The bastion at the gate is called St. George. A large light-weight home is additionally settled at one finish of the defense.
Even currently the ruins of the walls, gateways, arches, ramps, bastions of the fort offer a powerful read of the extent of military defenses that the fort provided within the past. at intervals, the fort, well ordered out gardens have ways edged by previous cannons.